[Samba] Sernet Packages - description

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 28 02:28:05 MST 2015

On 28/01/15 02:37, Rich Webb wrote:
> Would someone be so kind as to explain the differences between the sernet packages?  Either that or point me to an internet resource that would explain it?

Hi, what do you mean 'differences', different from what ?

> What I'm trying to figure out is what packages to use to set up a full fledged member server in an existing samba4 domain with an existing DC.  I want to be able to create a share on this server and then be able to manage it's permissions from a windows box using computer management.

if you are using Debian wheezy then you only really need these for a
member server:

sernet-samba sernet-samba-winbind fam acl attr quota

> Also I'm hoping that the performance on this server will be faster than that of the domain controller.  Currently this domain controller is serving files but I want to move that function to a dedicated box.

Does nobody read the samba wiki ? Or should it be written in VERY LARGE
print ? Don't use the DC as a fileserver.

Rowland