[Samba] Installing Samba 3

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 09:51:19 MST 2015

On Tuesday 27 January 2015 16:30:18 Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 02:14:20PM +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Still trying to get security = share working, which it appears means I
> > need to install Samba 3. As the server is pretty much goverened by this,
> > I can
>
> You don't need Samba3.x, 4.x is no different in terms of
> security levels.
>
> Replacement for share level security:
>
> security = user
> map to guest = Bad Password

Jeremy,

With CentOS 6.3 and Samba 3.6.23 I now have access to "security = share" which
is what I wanted.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. When I try to connect to the new server
using the WinXP and Win7 clients that are using the old server they just fail
to connect.

I understand that the work-around you quote is how people are getting round
the fact that share security doesn't work any more. However, I can't use that
method as I need to retain password protection.

Gary