[Samba] wbinfo -u and -t: works on one machine, fails on another

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:27:59 MST 2015

Hello,

On machine 1, running Fedora 20, I can get "wbinfo -u" to provide a
list of windows domain "MYCOMPANY.CORP" users by first launching
winbindd and passing this three line conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = MYCOMPANY
        security = ads

Note that I am somewhat curious as to how wbinfo is able to obtain
this user list even though nowhere do I supply a username or password
of any user or administrator on the MYCOMPANY.CORP domain.  I'm also
curious why the conf file uses the term "workgroup" to refer to my
windows domain.

===

Strangely on my Fedora 21 machine, the same process does not work.
/var/log/samba/log.winbindd shows nothing of interest even up to -d
10.  Even more strange is that "wbinfo -p" shows success on this
machine even when neither winbindd nor smbd are running.

===

Can you suggest logs/documentation to look at (on linux or windows) to
understand why wbinfo -u fails on one machine but succeeds on another?
 FYI I have turned off selinux and firewall for the machine that
fails.

Thank you,

Chris