[Samba] Moving DC1 to a Virtual Machine

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:40:33 MST 2015

On 26/01/15 15:16, Paul Littlefield wrote:
> On 26/01/15 15:08, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> Yes, set up a new DC with your new OS and join this to the domain,
>> once up and running, transfer the seven (yes, there are 7) FSMO roles
>> to the new DC. Once everything is running ok, turn off the old DC and
>> remove *all* mention of it from the domain.
>
> Hi Rowland
>
> Indeed, this was suggested but was frowned upon, as there are bugs?

Not as far as I know, the problem is that samba-tool only knows about
five of the FSMO roles, it knows nothing about the 'ForestDnsZones' &
'DomainDnsZones' FSMO roles, so this means you have to sieze them
manually. Though having said that, I suppose this could be classed as a bug.

>> Not easy, but it can be done.
>
> Yes, and I believe it could potentially **** up the existing DC2 and
> any machines attached to it, meaning you have to join every single
> machine on the network domain again..

Well possibly, so you would have to back everything up and do this when
every other machine was turned off

>> Of course it would have been a lot easier if you hadn't used the
>> samba version from git. It would also be a lot better if people read
>> and accepted what is written on the wiki.
>
> Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

Very true :-)

> The whole Domain Controller thing on this network is a tale of "suck
> it and see" and then "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I worked for a company like that.

> It was done in the early days of Samba 4 when there was only the git
> version, and so I thought it would be best to stick with that method
> for DC2.
>
> So far, they have worked flawlessly for a year, but now the boss wants
> to cut down the heat generating boxes which are in the server room.
>
> :)
>
> So, I will...
>
> * P2V my Gentoo DC1 exactly as is.
> * P2V my Ubuntu DC2 exactly as it.
>
> ...and be done with it.
>
> That sound OK?
>
> For now.

I think that in the short term, that is all you can do.

Rowland