[Samba] Moving DC1 to a Virtual Machine

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 08:16:02 MST 2015

On 26/01/15 15:08, Rowland Penny wrote:
> Yes, set up a new DC with your new OS and join this to the domain, once up and running, transfer the seven (yes, there are 7) FSMO roles to the new DC. Once everything is running ok, turn off the old DC and remove *all* mention of it from the domain.

Hi Rowland

Indeed, this was suggested but was frowned upon, as there are bugs?

Yes, and I believe it could potentially **** up the existing DC2 and any machines attached to it, meaning you have to join every single machine on the network domain again.

> Of course it would have been a lot easier if you hadn't used the samba version from git. It would also be a lot better if people read and accepted what is written on the wiki.

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

The whole Domain Controller thing on this network is a tale of "suck it and see" and then "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

It was done in the early days of Samba 4 when there was only the git version, and so I thought it would be best to stick with that method for DC2.

So far, they have worked flawlessly for a year, but now the boss wants to cut down the heat generating boxes which are in the server room.

:)

So, I will...

* P2V my Gentoo DC1 exactly as is.
* P2V my Ubuntu DC2 exactly as it.