[Samba] Moving DC1 to a Virtual Machine

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 07:55:47 MST 2015

On 26/01/15 13:06, Paul Littlefield wrote:
> If I cannot switch from Gentoo to Ubuntu (I am currently testing in VirtualBox Ubuntu Server fresh install)... then I will just use REAR to do P2V and keep it Gentoo :(

Hello All

Alas, as predicted when I try to restore the 'real DC1' files to the 'virtual DC1' and test, it fails...

root at samba:~# /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool", line 33, in <module>
     from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
     import samba.param
ImportError: /usr/local/samba/lib/private/libserver-role.so: version `SAMBA_4.2.0PRE1_GIT_F8EC0F9' not found (required by /usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/param.so)

...which is why this was put on the official Samba Wiki and I did read it, but thought it was worth a try...

"Very important notes:
Never do a restore and a version change at once! Always restore on a system that uses the same Samba version than the one you created the backup on! Restore on a system with the same IP and Hostname. Otherwise you'll run into Kerberos and DNS issues. Recommended: Restore on the same OS than where you created the backup."

So, it looks like I have to virtualise my real Gentoo DC1 and stick with that.

Will I ever be able to swap operating system?!

:(

Regards,

Paul Littlefield