[Samba] upgrade eDir NW6.5 -> Samba 3 -> Samba 4

Sun Jan 25 04:55:13 MST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:06:44AM +0100, Sven Giermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I do have a question to Andrews statement...
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-January/171054.html
> > You might be able to instead upgrade your Novell domain into Samba 4.0's
> > AD DC, if it currently backs a Samba 3.x 'classic' domain (or can be
> > made to), [...]
> I'm a little confused. I am probably able to run a Samba3 acting as a
> PDC with my eDir users (http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/OES_as_PDC).
> Does it mean I have to use this Samba3 server as a source to upgrade to
> Samba4?
> But after that, I won't be able to have an LDAP source as auth service,
> right?
>
> Are these facts still true, or did something change in the meantime?
>
> Background:
> I'm currently thinking about the future of our NW6.5 servers and came
> across some guide to at least have Samba3 auth against eDirectory. My
> current idea is to keep the eDirectory running for auth and maybe
> printing services (iPrint), but to set up new servers with Samba...
> I wouldn't really need PDC or AD functionality at the moment, but it
> would be great to have AD like services in the future. I fear, that
> Windows 2008/2012 servers wouldn't connect to NT4 style Samba3 shares,
> right? And I'm not sure whether Windows 7 (or upcoming 10) workstations do.

It will be difficult to keep the eDirectory as your primary LDAP while
presenting AD-like services for your client machines through Samba4. The
main problem is that Windows clients expect a very specific AD schema
that is unlikely to be provided by eDirectory.

You might want to take a look at

https://www.novell.com/de-de/products/openenterpriseserver/features/domain-services-windows.html

which is should do what you want. Run AD services on top of eDirectory.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de