[Samba] Moving DC1 to a Virtual Machine

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 08:38:20 MST 2015

Hello

I have primary and secondary Samba 4 DCs running very nicely with replication.

I have DC1 using the official Backup scripts.

We are moving these to virtual machines.

We are changing the Linux OS on DC1 from Gentoo to Ubuntu.

REAL DC1 = FSMO Role
REAL DC1 = Gentoo
REAL DC2 = Ubuntu
VIRTUAL DC1 = Ubuntu

What is the correct way to change DC1 to a virtual machine?

Do I just restore from REAL DC1 backup files?

Or, do I shut down REAL DC1 and 'join' VIRTUAL DC1 to REAL DC2?

Do I have to change the FSMO role first?

(I was going to shut down REAL DC2, shut down REAL DC1, restore files from REAL DC1 to VIRTUAL DC1, start up VIRTUAL DC1 and test, etc.)

I could not find a definitive answer on the Samba Wiki, and my apologies if I missed it.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Paul Littlefield