[Samba] How to provision many users with unix Attributes without RSAT

Luis Sanchez luis.sanchez.sanchez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 01:36:40 MST 2015

Hi,

I would like to provision a huge number of users to a Samba AD/DC and I
would like to have the unix attributes set too. I don't want to use the
RSAT GUI and manually set each.

Is there any tool or script I can use to get that?

I have identified some attributes in the AD that are added when I set unix
attributes with RSAT GUI. However there must be more changes...

These are the attributes:

msSFU30Name:
msSFU30NisDomain:
loginShell:
gidNumber:
uid:
uidNumber:
unixHomeDirectory:
unixUserPassword::

I don't know how the unixUserPassword is obtained.

The uid and uidNumber must be unique afaik, but there must be a last used
uid or something... If I add the unix attributes manually without the RSAT
GUI (the uid is the next free one) when I run the RSAT GUI on another user
it chooses a uid already used.

Thank you!

Best regards.