[Samba] CUPS Windows point'n'click driver installation

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Thu Jan 22 15:35:08 MST 2015

----- Original Message -----
> Hello Mike,
>
> Am 22.01.2015 um 21:24 schrieb Mike Ray:
> > cx510de:
> > http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=EN&page=product&userlocale=EN_US&productCode=LEXMARK_CX510&focusedTab=DOWNLOADS#1
> >
> > ms510dn:
> > http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=EN&page=product&userlocale=EN_US&productCode=LEXMARK_MS510#1
>
> These drivers seem not to support to be uploaded via the Add Printer
> Wizzard. This isn't related to Samba. If you try uploading the driver to
> a Windows host by pointing to the ntprint.inf, the list of drivers stays
> also empty.
>
> You should ask Lexmark, if they have a driver supporting point'n'print
> upload.
>

> Or you can try to integrate the drivers manually:
>
> * If I installed the driver locally on a Win7 computer, all neccessary
> files are copied to %Windir%\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\ (do this on a
> host, that never has a driver installed. Otherwise there may be other
> files from other drivers in there too).
>
> * See
> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/network_administration_guides/samba_reference_guide/29_CUPS-printing_105.html.
> Start with step 4. You can copying the files from the Windows host
> (location see above) to the print$ share, too, of course.
>

>  and
>

> > hp5100dtn:
> > http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=74342&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063
> > (chose PCL6)
>
> This link doesn't work. I searched for the printer on the HP download
> area, but it only provides me the hp univeral driver. This one I could
> upload successfully (tried PCL5 + PCL6 64bit). At work I use the HP
> univeral driver PS, which works also with Samba.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

Marc-

Thanks for the help Marc.

I gave that link you mentioned a shot and had to change things for the 64-bit install, but I was able to successfully install the driver, associate it with a printer, and print a few documents. I have only done this for the Lexmark cx510, but I imagine with just a little work, the others will turn out too.

Thank you!

-Mike