[Samba] CUPS Windows point'n'click driver installation

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Thu Jan 22 13:24:15 MST 2015

That failure has reproduced itself with 3 different print drivers, for the following: Lexmark cx510de, Lexmark ms510d, and Hewlett-Packard 5100 dtn.

Links:

cx510de: http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=EN&page=product&userlocale=EN_US&productCode=LEXMARK_CX510&focusedTab=DOWNLOADS#1

ms510dn: http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=EN&page=product&userlocale=EN_US&productCode=LEXMARK_MS510#1

hp5100dtn: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=74342&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063 (chose PCL6)

Note that the Lexmark downloads are executables; however, when run, you have an option to just extract their contents, allowing you to get access to the driver without installing bloatware.

I have tried to install the drivers using the "Print Management" snap-in available in Windows; I have tried from several different computers, all Windows 7 64-bit.

As mentioned before, CUPS server is 14.04 running samba 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.3 (installed via APT).

It would take a little bit of time, but if you are so inclined, I could give you a disk image of the CUPS server -- send me an off list email and we can discuss that more.

Thanks,
Mike