[Samba] CUPS Windows point'n'click driver installation

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Thu Jan 22 12:11:27 MST 2015

Hello all,

Attempting to setup print server.

OS: Ubuntu 14.04
Samba: 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.3

Setup basic server following: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server

Works as expected (i.e. must manually specify driver when installing via Windows, but the share works).

Setup point'n'click Windows drivers: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Point_n_Click_Automatic_Printer_Driver_Deployment

Worked perfectly for drivers that could be selected from the pre-populated Windows menu.

However, for any drivers which I try to install via "Have Disk", I get the error message:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I know the driver works because if I manually install the printer to a computer and use that driver, everything is peachy.

Thinking foul play from Windows, I attempted to follow this: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html#id2627627

However, 'adddriver' is not provided in the current packaged version of samba (based on the age of the document, my guess is it has long since been deprecated).

Anyone have insight on the matter or had better luck?

Mike Ray