[Samba] question about installing samba and writing VFS module...

Ed Sutter edsutterjr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 08:40:37 MST 2015

On 1/21/2015 10:18 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 21/01/15 15:05, Ed Sutter wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm new to Samba.  My goal is to write a VFS module.
>> I've been able to do this somewhat successfully; however there must be a better way...
>>
>> On my first attempt at this, I just installed samba using apt-get and configured
>> the system to be a samba server (this worked just fine).
>>
>> Then, since I wanna build a VFS module, I'm assuming I need to build everything from
>> source, create my module (derived from one of the examples) and then install
>> everything.
>>
>> So, I downloaded the latest tarball (at the time that was samba-4.1.14), unpacked
>> it and did "./configure, make & sudo make install".  This appears to install binaries
>> to /usr/local/samba, but does not affect the runtime samba which was pulled in by
>> apt-get initially.
>> I ended up manually coping all of /usr/local/samba/bin to /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
>> I also had to hack /etc/init.d/smbd and /etc/init.d/nmbd to ignore upstart.
>> I was also able to rebuild the full_audit VFS example (with a slight modification)
>> and verify that it was working.
>>
>> Yea, major hack.  So now I start over with a few questions...
>>
>> 1. I assume if I'm modifying a VFS module, I need to build everything and install
>> from source right?
>> 2. What does "make install" do for me?  It doesn't appear to do an install that then
>> runs on my next system startup.
>>
>> Thanks for any help/advice.
>> Ed
>>

> Hi, yes, if you compile samba4 yourself then it will all end up in /usr/local/samba, this is the default location, but you can change it. if, instead of running './configure', you run './configure --help' this will show you all the options you can change, by setting the right ones, you can get 'make install' to put the samba binaries etc in the same place as your install.
>
> Having said that, what is your vfs module going to do and are you going to offer it to samba ??
>
> Rowland
Thanks for the quick response.
I had looked at that (./configure --help), but still wasn't sure what to change.  For "make install" to do the equivalent of "sudo apt-get install samba" it seems like there are a lot of destination directories (bin, lib, etc).  Is there a known set of .configure options that will essentially do what "apt-get install samba" does?
Regarding the module...
This is for a small embedded system (beaglebone) so that multiple PCs can access various networked files and trigger some switches (gpio pins).
Probably not very generically useful; but if I get it working I'll gladly submit it.
Ed