[Samba] SAMBA 4 AD authentication problem

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:27:11 MST 2015

On 21/01/15 04:52, Umar Draz wrote:
> HI All,
>
> I have successfully install SAMBA 4 and also successfully join windows 2012
> server with my SAMABA domain (EXAMPLE).
>
> Now today I have tried Windows 8 to join my SAMBA domain, but that wasn't
> worked due to username and password message.
>
> Here is the message appear while joining the domain from windows 8
>
> *The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "EXAMPLE"*
>
> *The user name or password is incorrect.*
>
> Login through domain's user on Windows 2012 was also working, but after the
> above error I tried to login on windows 2012 server with the domain user
> but the same error was there.
>
> I have checked on SAMBA machine and verify the Administrator username and
> password is working
>
> *smbclient //localhost/netlogon -U Administrator -c 'ls'*
> Enter Administrator's password:
> Domain=[EXAMPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.6-Ubuntu]
>
> The kerberos also validate my username and password
>
> *root at samba:~# kinit administrator at EXAMPLE.COM <administrator at EXAMPLE.COM>*
> Password for administrator at EXAMPLE.COM:
> Warning: Your password will expire in 41 days on Tue 03 Mar 2015 02:44:04
> AM EST
>
> Would you please help me the solve this, why username and password not
> working on windows end.
>
> Br.
>
> Umar

I take it when you say 'windows 8' you mean 'windows 8 pro', have you
tried 'example.com' instead of 'EXAMPLE', does the machines dns point to
the samba 4 AD DC.

I don't think this is actually a Samba problem, more likely something on
the windows machine, is there anything in the event logs.

Rowland