[Samba] samba3 authentication from samba4 active directory

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Jan 20 09:56:59 MST 2015

Hello,

Am 20.01.2015 um 08:56 schrieb I Am Netizen:
> Can we authenticate user accessing samba3 shared folder against samba4
> active directory?
>
> Consider this case:
>
> I have 2 instance; one is samba4 and other one is old samba3 which has few
> shared folder.
> I want user accessing samba3 shared folder should authenticate again samba4
> active directory?

This depents, what you mean with '2 instances':

Are this two different domains? Then no, because domain trusts are not
fully implemented in Samba AD yet. Trusts between two Samba 4
NT4-domains works, like in the past. But you talked about at least one
Samba AD domain.

If the Samba 3.x servers are joined to the Samba AD (all within the same
domain), then it's not problem. Then it's just another domain member.

Regards,
Marc