[Samba] cannot update W7 or linux clients

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Mon Jan 19 13:04:38 MST 2015

First, I am sorry. I should know this by now.

Last week had an issue with W7 client could not update. I made some
adjustments to get W7 updated. Now I am having an issue with update
resolution. (Run apt-get update and repositories cannot be find, etc.)
So, this tells me that I have messed up my dns resolution.

All clients (W7 & linux) point to my DC for DNS nameserver.

All clients (W7 & linux) have statis ip addresses.

Here are some files from my DC:

root at dc01:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.16.54 dc01.dtshrm.lan dc01

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
root at dc01:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.16.54
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.16.0
 broadcast 192.168.16.255
 gateway 192.168.16.106
 # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
 dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222
 dns-search dtshrm.local
root at dc01:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search dtshrm.local
domain dtshrm.local
nameserver 192.168.16.54
root at dc01:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = DTSHRM
 realm = DTSHRM.LAN
 netbios name = DC01
 server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
 idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

[netlogon]
 path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/dtshrm.lan/scripts
 read only = No

[sysvol]
 path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
 read only = No

Shouldn't there be a dns forwarder within the smb.conf file?

Please tell me where I made my error.
--

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846 (main)