[Samba] Problems with permissions

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 18 05:39:08 MST 2015

On 18/01/15 10:01, Dr. Harry Knitter wrote:
> Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> schrieb am 18.01.2015:
>> Please don't send PM's, it breaks the thread, how was anybody other than
>> Jeremy to know you sent it ??
> This happened, becaus I got Jeremies mail by PM, too and did not take care to
> send my answer to the list, too. Sorry again
> @ all
> my samba version is 3.6.6.6.-deb7
>
> @ Marc Muehlfeld
> Not having a samba 4 version I tried
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_POSIX_ACLs
>
>> OK, in which case, can you post your entire smb.conf
>>
> <smb.conf>
> 	workgroup = mydomain.lan
> 	server string = %h server
> 	interfaces = eth0
> 	bind interfaces only = Yes
> 	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> 	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
> %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> 	unix password sync = Yes
> 	syslog = 0
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> 	max log size = 1000
> 	name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
> 	add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos
> "" %u
> 	add group script = /usr/sbin/addgroup --force-badname %g
> 	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u machine
> account" -d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
> 	logon drive = H:
> 	domain logons = Yes
> 	domain master = Yes
> 	wins support = no
> 	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> 	admin users = @ntadmin, root
> 	os level = 64
> 	log level = 3 smb:5
> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	valid users = %S
> 	read only = No
> 	create mask = 0700
> 	directory mask = 0700
> 	browseable = No
>
> [printers]
> 	comment = All Printers
> 	path = /var/spool/samba
> 	create mask = 0700
> 	printable = Yes
> 	print ok = Yes
> 	browseable = No
>
> [print$]
> 	comment = Printer Drivers
> 	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>
> [public]
> 	path = /home/ldap
> 	read only = no
> 	valid users = +users, root
> 	guest ok = no
> 	force group = users
> 	force user = harry
> 	create mask = 777
> 	directory mask = 777
> 	inherit permissions = yes
>
> Unix premissions are set to 2777 according to
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_POSIX_ACLs
>
> The status quo is from the view of the Windows clients:

> [...]

Lets deal with the obvious first, your workgroup name, you give it as
'mydomain.lan' , now is that the actual workgroup name ? If so, then it
shouldn't have the dot '.' in it, but if it is a replacement for your
domain, is your domain longer than 15 characters ? Sort this problem and
see if it works, the other thing to check, have you done the registry
changes ? see here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Registry_changes_for_NT4-style_domains

Rowland