[Samba] Domain Computer not showing up in domain utilities

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 14 12:25:50 MST 2015

On 14/01/15 19:14, Wayne Andersen wrote:
>>> I am running Samba Version 4.1.6.
>>>
>>> I have a PDC and two BDC setup.
>>>
>>> I have a specific computer named eds, it is a Windows 7 Pro box, When
>>> I add it to the domain everything works normally and it works well.
>>> Domain users can login, and they have the proper permissions, but am
>>> seeing two problems.
>>>
>>> 1) Every once in a while I get: "The trust relationship between this
>>> workstation and the primary domain failed".
>>> If I unplug the network cable or remove the machine from the domain
>>> and re-add it then all is good.
>>> Obviously the cached info on the PC is good.
>>>
>>> I see "The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not
>>> authenticate to the Active Directory service on a domain controller.
>>> (LDAP Bind function call failed). Look in the details tab for error
>>> code and description." In the system log.
>>>
>>> Clearly the computer account is not being created properly.
>>>
>>> 2) I don't see the computer in AD user and computer tools.
>>> Or
>>>    net ads dn 'CN=eds,CN=Computers,DC=corp,DC=mydomain,DC=com'
>>> search failed: No such object
>>>
>>> I have added many machines both before and after this one.
>>> Unfortunately I have an app on this PC that requires the name not
>>> change as it is registered to the machine name.
>>>

>> Bit confused here, you have 'I have a PDC and two BDC setup.' then at the
> bottom, there is this: 'I don't see the computer in AD user and computer
> tools.'
>> So, do you have an NT PDC & 2 NT BDC's or do you have 3 AD DC's ?
>>
>> which ever, can you post the smb.conf from the machine that you call the
> PDC.
>> Rowland
> I have no windows servers just work stations, I have three SAMBA AD DC, one
> is the primary and the other two are backups.

No, they are not backups, they are just DC's, in AD *all* DC's are equal.

> Here is the smb.conf
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>          workgroup = CORP
>          realm = CORP.MYDOMAIN.COM
>          netbios name = DC1
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          server services = s3fs rpc nbt wrepl ldap cldap kdc drepl winbind
> ntp_signd kcc dnsupdate
>          dns forwarder = 10.10.1.8
>          template shell = /bin/bash
> #       allow dns updates = nonsecure
> #       panic action = /bin/sleep 99999
>          dsdb:schema update allowed = yes

remove the next line
>          ldap debug level = 10

>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

Remove these three lines
> # Force this server to be the master
>          preferred master = yes
>          os level = 255

> #       Enable TLS for ldaps
>          tls enabled  = yes
>          tls keyfile  = tls/myKey.pem
>          tls certfile = tls/myCert.pem
>          tls cafile   =

Remove from here to the [netlogon] share
>    # Important: The ranges of the default (*) backend
>    # and the domain(s) must not overlap!
>
>    # Retrieve UIDs/GIDs for domain CORP from AD, via RFC2307.
>    # The range value defines the lowest RID up to the highest,
>    # that will ever be used in this domain. Ask your AD Domain
>    # Administrator, if you don't know which range to define.
>    idmap config CORP:backend = ad
>    idmap config CORP:schema_mode = rfc2307
>    idmap config CORP:range = 1000-40000
>
>    # Store UIDs/GIDs for all other domains (including local
>    # accounts/groups of this server) in a tdb file
>    idmap config *:backend = tdb
>    idmap config *:range = 50001-60000
>
>    # Use home directory and shell information from AD
>    winbind nss info = rfc2307
>
> [netlogon]
>          path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/corp.mydomain.com/scripts
>          read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>          read only = No
>
> [test]
>          path = /export/test
>          comment = Test Share
>          read only = no

Turn your third DC into a member server and use that as the fileserver,
see the wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

Rowland