[Samba] Samba4 UNIX password sync

d tbsky tbskyd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:59:00 MST 2015

> Hello Rob,
>
> Am 14.11.2014 um 17:49 schrieb Rob Mason:
>> I am trialling a small Samba4 AD server supporting 10 users (running
>> fine).  I also have exim smtp and dovecot imap running on the same
>> Debian Wheezy box.  Simplistically, what I would like to achieve is for
>> an AD user account to also authenticate to imap and smtp using the same
>> credentials. I previously used Samba3 'unix password sync' to ensure
>> that any domain users were automatically created a unix account.  This
>> doesn't seem supported any more?
>
> AD is a kind of LDAP.
>
> You simply have to setup your services to authenticate against LDAP and
> retrive the accounts from there, too.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

hi:
    I was waiting "unix password sync" from samba 4.0 for a long time.
I remember this function is at "todo list". but it seems like this
function will gone forever with samba 4.x?

   we have many systems which didn't use LDAP as authentication
method, and some have different account logic, like one user may has
many accounts, and password for these accounts are the same as the
"basic account". we were using Microsoft AD and ssod at linux, so we
can write our own little script to "distribute" passwords to every
system when user press "clt-alt-del" to change password.  and I think
this function should be quiet easy for samba. but without "unix
password sync", I don't know how to migrate from windows AD to
samba...