[Samba] Update from Samba 3.6 to 4.1 on Debian

Andreas Hauffe andreas.hauffe at tu-dresden.de
Tue Jan 13 07:30:37 MST 2015

Hi,

I read in the samba news, that everyone should update from Samba 3.6 to 4.x
since Samba 3.6 will be discontinued by the release of 4.2.

Is it possible just to remove/deinstall the Samba 3.6 package and then install
the wheezy-backports of 4.1.11? Will all configuration and stuff be still
there? Do I have to do further configurations to run the still NT4-Style
domain?

What is the common way to use samba in a heterogen environment?

Acutally, we have an OpenLDAP,Kerberos,NFS4 environment for linux clients with
samba 3.6 to integrate windows clients with an NT4-style domain. What is an
good way to use Samba4 and the AD features? The linux clients needs fast
read/write file access to the file server during scientific simulations.
That's why we use NFS up to now.

--
Viele Grüße
Andreas Hauffe

Technische Universität Dresden
Institut für Luft- und Raumfahrttechnik / Institute of Aerospace Engineering
Lehrstuhl für Luftfahrzeugtechnik / Chair of Aircraft Engineering

D-01062 Dresden
Germany

phone : +49 (351) 463 38496
fax :  +49 (351) 463 37263