[Samba] script hang on GUI Debian install

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Mon Jan 12 05:16:35 MST 2015

On 2015-01-12 03:13, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 12/01/15 00:23, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:
>
> On 2015-01-11 09:09, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
> On 11/01/15 14:09, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:
> Rowland, The script (setup-samb4-MEMBER-wheezy.sh.tar.gz) to install worked properly on my non-GUI member server. I decided to try it on my Debian 7.7.0 GUI client station (my Debian equivalent to W7 client.) 1st attempt, hung at: ==========Add backports Repo =============================== Reading changelogs... Extracting templates from packages: 100% 2nd attempt, the same. "top" shows no activity to speak of. Checked /etc/apt/sources.list and the backports repository appears there. Hum-m-m-m?
>
> Strange, it worked on a non gui install, which I never tested, yet it won't work on a gui install that I did test it on =-O
>
> OK, I have altered the script slightly, it should print more info and also there should be more header lines, this should help to track down the problem.
>
> see the attached file
>
> Rowland

Okay, so I am a total novice here but, while working on my MEMBER server
I discovered that the script sets the "wins server = ${SETIPDC1}"? Is
winbind running on my DC? Or only on my MEMBER server?

--

-------------------------

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846 (main)
www.donelsontrophy.com [1]

"Everyone deserves an award!!"

 OK, this tells me that you have changed the script here:

 ## Put here the IP of the first ( 2) DC('s) you installed.
 ## Set second to "" if only one DC
 SETIPDC1="192.168.0.2"
 SETIPDC2="192.168.0.3"

 To something like this:

 ## Put here the IP of the first ( 2) DC('s) you installed.
 ## Set second to "" if only one DC
 SETIPDC1="192.168.0.2"
 SETIPDC2=""

 Now, as to the wins server, this is running on your DC, for an
explanation of wins, see here:

 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784180%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
[2]

 Wins has nothing to do with winbind.

 Rowland

See, I have so-o-o much to learn!!

(When I get to work (in an hour or so as I write this) I will try your
revised script on my Debian GUI client machine.)
--

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846 (main)
www.donelsontrophy.com [1]