[Samba] Ghost DNS Entry (WERR_DNS_ERROR_RECORD_ALREADY_EXISTS)

Sebastian Henrich sebastian.henrich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 12:46:41 MST 2015

Hallo,

I'm using Samba 4 AD in production now for more than a half year. All
works great since today. Today I was unable to access my network
printer by its hostname. So I looked up his DNS Entry using the
Windows DNS-Manager and recognized that the DNS entry for the printer
is missing. I tried to readd it, but got the error message that the
entry already exists.

Next I tried to remove an add the entry using samba-tool. Here is what I did:

root at vserver2:~# samba-tool dns query vserver2 int.sebhen.de farbmfp A
-U administrator
Password for [SEBHEN\administrator]:
  Name=, Records=0, Children=0

root at vserver2:~# samba-tool dns delete vserver2 int.sebhen.de farbmfp
A 192.168.0.52 -U administrator
Password for [SEBHEN\administrator]:
ERROR: Record does not exist

root at vserver2:~# samba-tool dns add vserver2 int.sebhen.de farbmfp A
192.168.0.52 -U administrator
Password for [SEBHEN\administrator]:
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (9711,
'WERR_DNS_ERROR_RECORD_ALREADY_EXISTS')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 175, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py", line 1067, in run
    0, server, zone, name, add_rec_buf, None)

I also restarted Samba and Bind and rebooted the whole VM. Nothing
solved the problem. After the reboot I'm able to access the printer
again. So it seems that Samba added it to the dns zone again.

Does anybody knows this problem and has a solution how to fix it?

I'm using Samba version 4.1.6 from the Ubuntu 14.04 repositories. My
DNS backend is Bind.

Thanks

  Sebastian