[Samba] readable tiny odd script question

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 10 08:31:25 MST 2015

On 10/01/15 14:43, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:

> I have been reviewing Louis' script
> (4-setup-sernet-samba4-MEMBER-wheezy.sh) and within the following line
> (310) is an odd character combination.
>
> if [ ${SMBPRINTING} = no ]; then
> echo "==========Disable Printing ==============================="
> sed -i '49a\n # disable printing completelyn load printers = non
> printing = bsdn printcap name = /dev/nulln disable spoolss = yesn'^M
> <<<<<<< WHAT?
>   /etc/samba/smb.conf
> fi
>
> I am using vi editor (Debian 7.7.0) and noticed "^M" at the end of the
> line. This character combination appears twice within the script. Both
> time as a unique font color. Here listed above and finally on the last
> line of the script. In 'test' removing the character combination the
> cursor responds as though this is a single character. In other words, a
> single keystroke removes both characters.
>
> Is this a necessary character for the script to function properly? Or is
> it rogue and causing some unforeseen issues?
>
> (I feel bad raising this question while Louis is on a holiday. Many of
> us have been using his script for some time now and history indicates
> that they are working scripts. And I for one really appreciate all the
> work that went into them.)

Hi Bob, you seem to have more wrong than you think, this is the block of
code you are referring to:

if [ ${SMBPRINTING} = no ]; then
echo "==========Disable Printing ==============================="
sed -i '49a\\n   # disable printing completely\n   load printers =
no\n   printing = bsd\n   printcap name = /dev/null\n   disable spoolss
= yes\n' /etc/samba/smb.conf
fi

The 'sed' line should be all one line and all the newlines seem to have
been turned into just an 'n', they should be '\n', try looking at the
script with gedit or nano.

If you are interested, I now have a script to install a member server
using samba packages from debian backports instead of using the sernet
packages. I was prompted to write this because I could not get a sernet
member server to allow me to login via smbclient or 'caja' on LinuxMint.

Rowland