[Samba] Member Server SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 10 03:08:20 MST 2015

On 10/01/15 05:58, BISI wrote:
> On 15-01-09 09:19 AM, Tim wrote:
>> It's definitely a problem with backend ad. I don't know what, but
>> with ad backend I also cannot list rpc rights on the server because
>> it cannot find the user. With rid: no problem.
>>
>> Bug?
>
> I appear to be about 12 hours behind Tim, except that I am using
> Debian 7.7, and (now) following Louis van Belle's script for making a
> member server with the sernet repos (smbd reports Version
> 4.1.14-SerNet-Debian-9.wheezy)
> The script is at
> https://secure.bazuin.nl/scripts/4-setup-sernet-samba4-MEMBER-wheezy.sh
>
> Louis' script hangs up at line 406
>> echo {$PASSWORD} | net rpc rights list accounts -UAdministrator
> with
> Enter Administrator's password:
> Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
> The username or password was not correct.
> Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> I chose to  set up PAMauth in the script, based on the comment
>> ##########  pam autheristation modifications.
>> ## the original files /etc/pam.d/samba and sshd wil be backuped to
>> *.original
>> ## set to 1 if you want winbindd to work.
>
> unfortunately for me, Louis is off enjoying himself on a ski hill
> somewhere.
>
> any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> BTW - script and sernet packages do not make the links in /lib64 that
> the wiki calls for, but the script does replace the default krb5.conf
> file.

OK, I normally use the samba packages from backports (4.1.11 at present)
and also install libpam-winbind & libnss-winbind, you cannot install
these with the sernet packages because they depend on samba packages
that do not start with 'sernet'. This is not really a problem because
the files in the two packages are in 'sernet-samba-libs', there is
however one file missing. The missing file is
/usr/share/pam-configs/winbind, this file configures pam for winbind
authentication by running 'pam-auth-update --package' after installing
the file, this way you do not need Louis's pam modifications.

The reference to /lib64 on the wiki refers to redhat based distros, the
links on Debian are in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

My big problem now, after installing a member server following Louis's
script, is that though I can ssh into the server as a domain user, I
cannot connect to a share via smbclient, I just get 'tree connect
failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED'. I can connect to the DC from the
member server and a client and I can connect from the DC to the client,
I just cannot connect to the member server from anywhere via smbclient.

> also  the DC in this case is a windows 2008 R2 server running at
> server 2003 forest and domain functional level
>

> And before he left, he also mentioned assigning UID/GID to
> users/groups in the AD -- what UID and GID numbers would I assign to a
> windows DC, and to which users?  The reference he gave didn't really
> shed any light on the subject for me.

The smb.conf is setup to use rfc2307 attributes:

    idmap config INTERNAL:backend = ad
    idmap config INTERNAL:schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config INTERNAL:range = 2000-40000

NOTE: that is a bug in the script, what if you change this line:
SETNTDOM="INTERNAL"

The first two lines say to use the winbind 'ad' backend with rfc2307
attributes, the next line tells what range to use, ignore any ID number
below 2000 or above 40000.

You set these two numbers on a user or group basis and use the
'uidNumber' attribute for users, 'gidNumber' attribute for groups. You
only need to give the 'uidnumber' to users that you want to connect from
Unix, you do not have to give all users a 'uidNumber'. It is usual to
only give the 'Domain Users' group a 'gidNumber' but you can if you so
wish also give 'Domain Admins' a 'gidNumber'. There is no need to give
all groups a 'gidNumber', although some people do, but you must give at
least one group a 'gidNumber' if you want winbind to work.

Rowland