[Samba] Symbolic links not visible on osx 10.10

Markus Doits markus-samba at stellenticket.de
Mon Jan 5 08:06:46 MST 2015

I just found out this is not only happening on the osx clients by
mounting the share on the server:

All this below happens on an linux arch server mounting the own share:

mount //ip.addr/Programs ./tmp -o vers=3.0
--> non existent symlinks do not show up
--> cannot create symbolic links ("operation not supported")

mount //ip.addr/Programs ./tmp -o vers=2.1
--> non existent symlinks do not show up
--> cannot create symbolic links ("operation not supported")

mount //ip.addr/Programs ./tmp -o vers=1.0
--> non existent symlinks show up
---> links are created as real links

I noticed the mount output shows `nounix` when connecting with 2.1 and 3.0:

//ip.addr/Programs on /mnt/tmp type cifs
(rw,relatime,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmssp,cache=strict,username=markus,domain=OFFICE,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=ip.addr,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nounix,serverino,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,actimeo=1,user=markus)

This is done automatically, I have no idea how to remove it. (-o unix,
-o nounix=0 give an error)

So not only happening on osx client ... :-(

Is this maybe per protocol? Samba protocol 2.1 and 3.0 not being able to
use *real*  symbolic links?

Markus