[Samba] Member Server Setup Assistance

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 5 07:12:12 MST 2015

On 05/01/15 14:00, James wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
>     Yes. When I create a share I get the expected 'Everyone' group
> under 'Share Permissions' for example. I'm assuming I must map this
> object to Unix so all windows users can access this share. However in
> AD there is no 'Everyone' group to set a gid. I wouldn't necessarily
> expect one either. I'm currently under the mind set that with a member
> server I must have a uid/gid for every object assigned on the share.

AH, light dawns, you are creating a share on a windows machine and
setting the permissions from windows. You cannot really map the users &
groups you refer to, because they are windows only users.

Samba 4 does map them to xidNumber's via idmap.ldb, you can see them via:

ldbedit -e nano -H /var/lib/samba/private/idmap.ldb

There is a wiki page you might like to take a look at:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_Windows_ACLs

Rowland