[Samba] Don't use .local

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 5 05:23:41 MST 2015

On 05/01/15 12:13, Matt . wrote:
> I'm not missing the point, the point is that you actually cannot tell
> why .local should stay local always and forever. That's my point, you
> don't know either as you ask yourself already, "why should I config
> Avahi myself ?". Indeed stay in control of your network or stay out.

NO, I do not ask myself "why should I config Avahi myself ?", what I
said is, most people don't configure avahi themselves. We are *not*
discussing setting up the dns domain here, we are talking about setting
up a samba domain. If you want to use .local, then this is your
decision, but from experience of the problems that appear on this list,
quite a lot of them are caused by using .local. In this case, by not
recommending .local, it is hoped that a lot of problems will never happen.

Rowland