[Samba] Don't use .local

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 5 04:54:42 MST 2015

Am 05.01.2015 um 12:43 schrieb Rowland Penny:

> Ah, you just proved that people don't know what they are doing, by
> sending the same email twice, once just to me and once again to the list
> and me.

well, doing exactly the same (reply all) and quote two times the
footer... :-)

> I understand what you are trying to say, but it totally misses the
> point. using .local can and will interfere with avahi *unless* you turn
> avahi off. Only problem with this, by turning off avahi, you may break
> something else. So the best option is to *not* use .local

outside a Apple network avahi don't have much use and using ".local"
would not break AVAHI at all nor the other side if Linux distributions
would stop ship a broken "nsswitch.conf", with the fixed below *both* is
working just fine (vmware.local as DNS zone as well as Avahi)

hosts: files dns mdns4_minimal myhostname