[Samba] Cannot access server error

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Sat Jan 3 14:26:47 MST 2015

Am 31.12.2014 um 19:25 schrieb Stef:
> Hi,
> I'm having a peculiar problem with my Samba server and have not been able
> to figure out how to solve it.  I've had this server for a very long time,
> but recently the main hard drive failed and I only kept backups of the user
> files.  I set the server back up with Debian Wheezy and Samba 3.6.6.
>
> My problem is as follows:
> I have 4 Unix users and groups:
> user1:group1 (admin account, so has a different primary group but also
> belongs to "users" group)
> user2:users (regular user)
> user3:users (regular user)
> public:public (public account, home dir = /home/public, shell = /bin/false)
>
> Of those, 3 have corresponding Samba users: user1, user2 and user3.
>
> My smb.conf file looks like (created with testparm -s smb.conf.master >
> smb.conf):
> [global]
>         workgroup = HOME
>         server string = %h server
>         map to guest = Bad User
>         obey pam restrictions = Yes
>         guest account = public
>         pam password change = Yes
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>         unix password sync = Yes
>         syslog = 0
>         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>         max log size = 1000
>         printcap name = cups
>         dns proxy = No
>         usershare allow guests = Yes
>         panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         valid users = %S
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0700
>         directory mask = 0700
>         browseable = No
>
> [Public Share]
>         path = /home/public
>         guest ok = Yes
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         create mask = 0700
>         printable = Yes
>         print ok = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> [print$]
>         comment = Printer Drivers
>         path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>
> I can successfully log into all 3 regular user's home directory with their
> corresponding user names and passwords.  That is, whenever I access
> \\SERVER\user1 from Windows 7, I type the username and password and can
> access that user's home dir.
>
> I can also see "Public Share" out of the list of network folders whenever I
> go to \\SERVER\.  In /home/public, I have 2 symlinks: 1. Music ->
> ../user1/Music and 2. Videos -> ../user1/Videos.  If I browser the "Public
> Share" folder, and try to access those 2 "folders" (which are really
> symlinks to folders) I get the following error on Windows:
> [...]

Hi Stef,

your used symbolic links point *outside* the shared path, also known
as "wide links".
Cause symlinks are handled differently for connecting  *nix vs windows users
when "unix extensions = yes" (default) is set, security issues arise
for the *nix users.

So when you only have windows users (or your *nix users don't need the unix
extensions), do the following:

[global]
	unix extensions = no

Inside your [share] sections, where you want "wide links", set
[some_share]
	follow symlinks = yes   # is default, but set it for clarity
	wide links = yes

Also have a close look to "man smb.conf" about these parameters!
When "unix extensions = yes" is set, wide links are automatically *disabled*.

Because some users wished to have this *insecure* settings, it was implemented:
           allow insecure wide links (G)
which allows wide links even when unix extensions are set.

Cheers, Günter