[Samba] Member Server Setup Assistance

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 1 02:34:41 MST 2015

On 01/01/15 00:07, James wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
>     I forgot to tell you the results were from my Domain Controller
> and not the member server. Member server returned something to the
> effect of 'user not found'. I am only starting the 3
> services(smbd,nmbd and windbindd) listed in the wiki. Should I be
> starting Samba with command line switches to start as a member server?
> Is that even possible?

Hi, there are two ways of running samba4, the classic or original way
that samba3 was used, or as an AD DC. If you run samba4 in the classic
way, you need to start the smbd & nmbd deamons and optionally the
winbind daemon. If you use samba4 as an AD DC, then you only start the
samba daemon, this will start any other required deamons, you only start
the samba daemon on an AD DC.

As you are trying to set up a member server, you must carry out the
tests on the member server.

Rowland