[Samba] Domain Member Server (wheezy) - Unable to edit permissions of share without usermapping - shall I add to Wiki?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:24:44 MST 2015

On 27/02/15 19:09, Shane Robinson wrote:
> Hello again List, Marc, and Louis!
>
> I'm afraid my message from yesterday may have been TL;DR. The short version
> is as follows:
>
> Following the wiki's for AD member server (building from source on Debian
> Wheezy) and Setting up shares with Windows acls did not give the expected
> results
>
> First, I needed to link libnss_winbind.so to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu for
> winbind to work. Marc - may I add this to the wiki, or is there a reason not
> to that I'm unaware of?

I think this would be a good idea, the problem is the wiki is a bit RH
centric, so go ahead and add something about setting the link for
debian, but follow the format that is already there, don't worry if it
isn't quite right, Marc will change it.

> Second, setting permissions on a share did not work until I mapped the
> domain administrator to root. This is mentioned in the Troubleshooting
> member server wiki page, but only in relation to granting the
> SeDiskOperatorPrivilege, which was not an issue for me.
>
> Does this mapping have any ramifications that I (or others) should be aware
> of?

No, but I don't think it has to be done this way, I am beginning to
think there are other ways of doing this.

Rowland