[Samba] Is Server-side GPO Configuration possible? (for logon script)

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Feb 27 06:26:30 MST 2015

Hi John

> On 26/02/15 16:54, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hello John,
>>
>> Am 26.02.2015 um 12:17 schrieb John:
>>> Is it possible to make GPO changes from the server (i.e. without using
>>> Windows) ?
>> No. There's no tool for *nix, to edit GPOs. At least I've never seen
>> one. :-)
>>

>> Regards,
>> Marc
>>
> Shame, that. But I kind of expected that to be the answer.
>
> I guess the next best thing is to script it on Windows. Provide a script
> (perhaps in sysvol/scripts) that can be run on a windows box as a domain
> admin to finish the configuration. I guess this would be a Windows
> Powershell script.
>
> Here I go off into unknown waters. Has anyone done this that could
> provide some insight?

I don't know how much there is in common between local gpo and domain
gpo, but I had to dive in the local gpo subject for another software I
working on [1]. If you don't want gui and powershell, the documentation
is really scarce and most code sample you can find don't properly create
the GPO. You can checkout our local gpo code here:

https://github.com/tranquilit/WAPT/blob/master/setuphelpers.py#L1340

Hope this helps,

Denis

[1] WAPT, Windows apt-get :
http://dev.tranquil.it/wiki/WAPT_-_apt-get_pour_Windows (sorry, website
is in French, but comments in the code are in English :-)

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems