[Samba] specify alternative port for samba internal dns server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:00:19 MST 2015

On 26/02/15 23:39, Ben Cohen wrote:
> Please stop making the assumption that I don't have different problems
> than you...
>
> I support IT environments that are connected via incredibly slow
> internet links -- user clients CANNOT use something other than my dns
> server as their dns resolver -- I have to implement logic which
> controls all internet access, including dns resolution, on a per user
> basis per-byte basis -- if I put another dns server in-between me and
> the network clients, I lose the information by which my dns
> forwarding-resolver can make the identify determination.  Perhaps you
> have some way of passing forward the identity information regarding
> which client is making the dns request in a way that my
> network-access-control appliance understands -- oh, right no you don't
> do you?
>
> In my testing my approach seems to work the way I want to do things --
> two servers, one with dnsmasq, one with samba internal dns.  Clients
> point at my dnsmasq, dnsmasq resolves ad domain via samba dns.  Is
> this not appropriate for some reason?  How does this go against the
> 'ad' way? As far as I can tell there is absolutely nothing wrong with
> this architecture ... why should the clients need to talk to the samba
> dns directly rather than via my intermediary -- is that actually
> required?  Its my impression that my campus network doesn't do this
> with normal active directory -- I believe they run BIND and queries
> for ad.foo.com <http://ad.foo.com> are resolved via authoritative AD
> dns servers running on windows server ...  Isn't that the normal way?
>
> The reason I want to run the samba4 dns on a different port than the
> default is to avoid having to run an additional OS -- my environments
> are very expensive to put equipment in, reducing the hardware and OS
> count is desirable, particularly where there is not a good reason that
> something needs to have its own OS instance ...
>
> It seems you reference a straw-man desire to customize the ldap server
> port in order to evoke some history of problems surrounding people
> trying to use services that don't work with the AD model within
> samba.  In fact my GOAL is exactly the opposite -- I WANT to USE the
> samba integrated dns in order to avoid having any issues with the
> required set of magic AD dns behaviours -- rather than trying to hack
> those required dns behaviours into my existing dns configuration ...
>
> I appreciate your thoughts and if my suggested approach (with two
> servers) truly isn't going to work, it would be huge if you or someone
> else could tell me and give a lot insight why ... because my plan even
> with a *NO* on the ability to change the port that samba-dns listens
> on, is to use two servers as described above ...  If that's not gonna
> work for some reason it'd be awesome to find out now ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Rowland Penny
> [...]

Please stop sending emails directly to me, keep it on list.

If you are struggling with resources, you could run another OS inside a
VM and point the samba forwarder to a DNS server running on the OS in
the VM.

Would you try and circumvent the way a windows server works, I do not
think so and as samba4 AD works exactly the same as windows AD, you
shouldn't try to change the way it works.

Note that this is the last I will have to say on this subject.

Rowland