[Samba] Workgroup name too long

durwin at mgtsciences.com durwin at mgtsciences.com
Wed Feb 25 13:44:10 MST 2015

I have searched for this and the solutions I found were for instances
where the workgroup name *was* too long.  However, my workgroup name is
*not* too long.  The spaces between PEGASUS and ^[ are part of the
message, I did not add them.  If you count them there are 16 total
including ending ^[.  I can't figure out where the spaces are coming from.
 This is the same for every Samba server.  Each machine will show this
message for the other servers but not itself.  MachineA will show message
for B and C, but not A.  MachineB will show message for A and C but not B.

Servers are Fedora release 20 and 21, Samba versions are 4.1.12 and 15.

46856 Feb 25 13:22:19 zaphod nmbd[32208]: [2015/02/25 13:22:19.194541,  0]
../source3/nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:57(name_to_unstring)
46857 Feb 25 13:22:19 zaphod nmbd[32208]: name_to_nstring: workgroup name
PEGASUS        ^[ is too long. Truncating to

Thank you,

Durwin F. De La Rue

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of
the message as well as any attachments to the original message.