[Samba] Samba4 Permissions on Shares

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 02:32:20 MST 2015

Hi guys,

Please could someone try assist me. I seem to be encountering some
permission issues with moving to Samba4 AD and setting permissions via the
Windows Share...

I'm running samba-4.1.14-10 on Centos 6.5

This is my smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN-HO
        realm = mydomain-ho.local
        netbios name = HEADOFFICE
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        dns forwarder = 192.168.20.4
        ntp signd socket directory = /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd
        acl allow execute always = True
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 2
        winbind use default domain = yes
        template homedir = /home/%ACCOUNTNAME%
        template shell = /bin/false

[SPECIFIC]
path = /var/lib/samba/data/data/specific
read only = No

MY FS is mounted with
/dev/mapper/vg_headoffice-lv_var on /var type ext4 (rw,user_xattr,acl)

Firstly what is the recommended default ownership on the Linux system?
Currently I create the folder, and chown -R root:root foldername. Then I
chmod -R 777 foldername, then go to a Windows Machine and as a domain
admin, browse to a folder inside the "SPECIFIC" share, right click, go to
properties, then security, and then edit, and I add the users that I want
to grant full access to and remove all other users and groups that are
there by default, IE: creator owner etc.

Initially users can access the folder and files, but somehow along the way
if a user creates a folder and other users try to write to it they don't
have permission to etc.

Just to avoid confusion, the share is called SPECIFIC and I'm referring to
folders/files inside the SPECIFIC share.

Should I be setting permissions via a different method and am I missing
anything that I should have set in order to control permissions a bit
easier? For large folders setting permissions takes a very long time
through Windows.

Any help is appreciated.

Regard.

Neil Wilson.