[Samba] getent passwd not return the same number of records from a call to another call

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:11:22 MST 2015

On 24/02/15 19:53, Hervé Hénoch wrote:
> Hello
>
> On AD Server :
> --------------------
>
> We have migrated from S3 to S4 with samba-tools classicupgrade. All is
> ok : bind9, winbind but getent has a strange behavior.
>
> getent passwd doesn't return the same number of records. So a AD user
> can be not present in the response of getent !!!!
>
> it can have a big difference of records returned from a call to
> another call of getent passwd ...
>
> On the other hand, wbinfo -u returns always the same number of records.
>
> What can be the problem ?
>
> (I'm on a debian jessie, rfc2307 is on, and the installation of samba
> has been done by apt-get ... )
>

> On AD domain member :
> --------------------------------
>
> We have the same problem (same distribution and installation).
> Futhermore, "getent group" returns some groups with the same ID.
>
> Maybe problems are bounded.
>

> Regards

Hi, I think that we need to see the smb.conf from both your machines.
It is normal to get more users from 'wbinfo -u' than 'getent passwd',
but you should be able to see all your users via getent, as long as they
have uidNumbers that are within the range set in smb.conf. What is more
worrying is that you have groups with the same ID, you may have to
resort ldbmodify to fix this.

Rowland