[Samba] content of sam.ldb vs sam.ldb.d/DC=MYDOMAIN,DC=LAN

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue Feb 24 07:06:34 MST 2015

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what is the difference between the content in sam.ldb and
sam.ldb.d/DC=MYDOMAIN,DC=LAN.

In the two file I have my user entry:
# ldbsearch -H
/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC\=TRANQUILIT\,DC\=LOCAL.ldb | grep
dn | grep CN=dcardon
dn: CN=dcardon,CN=Users,DC=tranquilit,DC=local

# ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb | grep dn | grep CN=dcardon
dn: CN=dcardon,CN=Users,DC=tranquilit,DC=local

Is it some kind of legacy? I though that the entries should be in the
partition file into the sam.ldb.d directory, and sam.ldb was just had
some kind of glue linking toward the partition file. If it is legacy, is
there anyway recommended way to clean it up?

Actually I was looking at it because I dug up a entry at a client that
was well beyond the garbage collecting deadline into the sam.ldb file,
and so started wondering about the content of the file.

Thanks for the input,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon