[Samba] nmbd won't start 3.6.24

Jed Evnull jedevnull at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:26:23 MST 2015

I have an odd situation: nmbd will not start.

This is samba 3.6.24, freshly compiled, running on a Raspberry Pi V2, 1Gb
ram, quad-core, etc.

smbd starts, and I can connect to the server my Mac and from an Android
device, haven't tested Windows.

./nmbd -D does not start nmbd.

I've tried starting ./nmbd -i -d10 to no effect, it returns immediately to
the console, no hang or stall. No logs are produced.  -S does nothing.

The binary seems to work as far as giving its version and responding to
--help.

I've done all this as root.

Thanks for any assistance.  Google only points to startup script problems
on various distros, I couldnt find anything re: manual nmbd start failing.