[Samba] rodc and KRB_TGS_REQ forwarding to RWDC to access hub ressources

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Sun Feb 22 16:10:00 MST 2015

Hi Garming,

> If you don't make much progress on your own, one thing you could do is
> turn up the logging level and send in some logs and network traces
> (and the steps you took). This is usually the easiest way to diagnose
> any obvious issues and gives a much better sense of what is actually
> happening.
sorry to come back to you so late... It seems inded to be some kind of
compilation issue like you suggested : I tried the pre-compiled sernet
package (adding the python patch for user/machine preloading). Then my
previous scenario (blocked_fw / kinit / smbclient -k -L rodc / clear_fw
/ smbclient -k -L srvads) worked liked a charm.

However on the windows side, I still couldn't log on the rodc and I had
the same windows error message as Michael Brown in his post [1] (even
tough the AS_REQ/AS_REP was going fine, checked with log level= 9).

Having no clue at all, I started to setup a clean testbed with sernet
packages on a dedicated LAN to reproduce the issue and hire the sernet
guys to have a developper to look at it. But I couldn't reproduce the
issue in the testbed, everything was working as it was supposed to do...
Very frustrating.

I didn't had time to dig more in this issue last week. Just trying a
wild guess : I have a few DCs with the same samba name on my test LAN
(but in different domain of course), so there might have been some
NetBIOS name collision issues arising. Anyway, this week I will have
plently of time to spend on that subject, so I hope I may come back with
more information.

> One other thing is that we generally recommend against .LOCAL domains
> although I would have no idea if this was actually causing any issues
> (at least without any further evidence). There are certainly many
> other things that could have gone wrong.
yes I know the .local suffixe is not good. It is there for quite some
time before Apple and their bonjour protocol declared a hijacking on
that suffixe. I disabled mdns on all the linux machines, and there is a
ban on apple hardware, so everything is working fine.

Thanks for your input,

Denis

[1] https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-November/176986.html