[Samba] Winbind backend : rid is too much underappreciated

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sat Feb 21 15:15:11 MST 2015

> Just recently a user had problems getting the rid backend to work, so it
> isn't the magic solution you are suggesting. Once you get your head
> around the winbind backends, it is easy to set them up. If you did have
> problems with the 'ad' backend, you had something set incorrectly.

Do you have something against the rid backend? Which disavantadges do you
see? It simply works!

The problems I had came most probably from using the AD Controller also as
file server. I know, that's not perfect but sometimes things have to be
done in a certain way in certain scenarios for particular reasons. The
internal winbind maps users/groups to a range starting with 3000000.
Administrator has a UID of 0. How would you fill up the UNIX Attributes
tab for Administrator?