[Samba] Samba4, browselist, nbt and wins

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 03:42:53 MST 2015

On 18/02/15 10:11, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 09:43 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> Or the long version, Samba 4.x uses 'nbt', this is part of the
>> 'samba'
>> daemon, you cannot run the 'nmbd' daemon with the 'samba' daemon.
>> unfortunately 'nbt' is not as feature rich as 'nmbd', this means that
>> there is no browsing with a samba4 AD DC.
> It isn't that simple.  The nbt server has WINS replication, nmbd has
> browsing.

OK, you learn something new every day, but it means the same thing in
the long run, without the code that is in 'nmbd', there is no browsing
with a samba AD DC :-)

>> If you really must have
>> browsing, you have two options, either wait until the devs find time
>> replace 'nbt' with 'nmbd' or starting writing the code to do it
>> yourself, I am sure that the devs will welcome any patches to do what
>> you require.
> What we need is the browsing code implemented in the nbt_server code, or
> for netbios browsing to finally die.

Again, same thing, different way, patches required to integrate the
browsing code from 'nmbd' into 'nbt' :-)

However, if it is done this way, doesn't this mean duplicate code in
samba4 ?

Rowland