[Samba] Samba 4.2.0rc4 can't authenticate users

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 18 01:02:48 MST 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 11:44 -0500, Thomas Schulz wrote:
> This problem shows up on both Linux and Solaris. I am going to show
> the logs from a Fedora 2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 machine.
>
> We are using 'security = domain' with a Windows 2000 domain controller.
> We are setting 'password server = starfish2' dispite the fact that the
> documentation says that this in not necessary as we have found it to
> be necessary. We are setting 'workgroup = adi'.

Can you use security=ads

> I installed Samba 4.2.0rc4 in the same location as a previous 4.1.7
> installation after removing everything in bin, sbin & lib. We are
> running just nmbd and smbd.

Please also run winbindd.  The old code to pass authentication to the DC
without winbindd is much less reliable, it has to find and set up the DC
connection every time.  (It has probably got better in recent git
master, but that's mostly because making it use better common code
helped us get rid of old code, rather than this being a use case we want
to encourage).

Andrew Bartlett