[Samba] Samba4, browselist, nbt and wins

Chris Fischer chris_f at gmx.net
Tue Feb 17 15:49:33 MST 2015

Hi folks,

i'am still confused when searching around for samba4 adc, wins and
browselist.
In my DCs smb.conf I have activated the server service nbt, defined wins
support = yes and could not see my domain controller in browselist.
Before provision from samba3 with ldap, I renamed the pdc, because the
old one had the same name like the domain (was working well over years).
Today my browselist shows a computer with the name of the old pdc (now
domain name only), the servers shares are listed but not accessible. The
last mod date of my wins.ldb in /var/private/samba/ is the date of
provision to samba4, one year in the past.

In sambas wiki in the FAQ (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/FAQ) you
give the advice to use samba4wins. In this list I found a post, which
says, this code is in samba4 and activated with above mentioned nbt
server service. Now I installed samba4wins, started it and got a
wins.ldb in an other directory with exactly the same size like the
wins.ldb in the samba4 directory has. An ldbsearch in wins_config.ldb
gaves zero entries.

Now my questions:
- Is it by design, that an samba4 active directory server is not listed
in the browselist?
- Is it right, that an samba4 adc server appears in browselist with its
domain name, or is it an issue because of my old config, having a pdc
with the same name like the domainname
- was the samba4wins code integrated in the samba4 server and obsoletes
installing an extra samba4wins package
- what can I do, to have the DC listed in the browse list?

Thank you for your help.

Chris