[Samba] ps aux | grep smbd

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Tue Feb 17 05:34:50 MST 2015

On 2015-02-17 13:26, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 17/02/15 12:15, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hello Rowland
>>
>> Am 17.02.2015 um 06:14 schrieb Jed Evnull:
>>> I recently compiled samba-3.2.15 for a Raspberry Pi V2 and while it
>>> seems to be working fine, when I  ps aux | grep smbd I'm shown two or
>>> three successively numbered smbd jobs. The smbd log isn't showing
>>> anything weird, what's up with this?
>> Everything is fine. smbd create child processes, like when users or
>> machines are connecting.
>>

>> Am 17.02.2015 um 10:29 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>>> What I find weird is that, by choice, you are using a samba version that
>>> went EOL nearly 5 years ago.
>> Just a guess:
>> 3.2 needs much less resources, that the current versions do. E. g. smbd
>> in 3.2 was just about 1/4 of the size it is in 4.1. Many parts can't be
>> disabled with ./configure options and are build in. Kai Blin had a good
>> talk about this last year:
>> http://sambaxp.org/fileadmin/user_upload/SambaXP2014-DATA/thu/track1/Kai_Blin-Samba-ScalingSambaDowntoMicroServers.pdf
>>

>> Regards,
>> Marc
>
> Well, I can see what you mean, but why bother, a raspberry pi will
> function quite capably as a home DC (never mind as just a fileserver)
> and now the pi2 is out with quad core and more memory.

"More" memory, but still less than the average file server ten years
ago. I'd rather not waste that memory for unused samba features if I
could use it to cache files from slow USB disks…

> I cannot understand why anybody would recommend using anything that went
> EOL nearly 5 years ago, just think of all the security releases that
> there have been since then, never mind the bug fixes!
>
> Rowland

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at