[Samba] ps aux | grep smbd

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Feb 17 05:15:21 MST 2015

Hello Rowland

Am 17.02.2015 um 06:14 schrieb Jed Evnull:
> I recently compiled samba-3.2.15 for a Raspberry Pi V2 and while it
> seems to be working fine, when I  ps aux | grep smbd I'm shown two or
> three successively numbered smbd jobs. The smbd log isn't showing
> anything weird, what's up with this?

Everything is fine. smbd create child processes, like when users or
machines are connecting.

Am 17.02.2015 um 10:29 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> What I find weird is that, by choice, you are using a samba version that
> went EOL nearly 5 years ago.

Just a guess:
3.2 needs much less resources, that the current versions do. E. g. smbd
in 3.2 was just about 1/4 of the size it is in 4.1. Many parts can't be
disabled with ./configure options and are build in. Kai Blin had a good
talk about this last year:
http://sambaxp.org/fileadmin/user_upload/SambaXP2014-DATA/thu/track1/Kai_Blin-Samba-ScalingSambaDowntoMicroServers.pdf

Regards,
Marc