[Samba] RPC Server is unavailable . . .

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:10:18 MST 2015

On 14/02/15 18:05, Steve Ankeny wrote:
> answers below
>
> On 02/14/2015 08:22 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>>
>>> They point to the DC as first nameserver and the gateway as second
>>> (then the ISP nameserver)
>>
>> OK, they really should be only pointing to the DC.
>
> I've made that change with no change in the results.  I've also
> started 'winbind' with no change.

No, I think you will find that you tried to start winbind and it wouldn't.

Just what samba packages do you have installed ?

>>> I still get the message "RPC server unavailable" (though I didn't
>>> reboot the Windows server before trying)
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response on using the scripts.
>>>

>> Have you altered the smb.conf on the DC ?
>
> adam at sogo:~$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>     workgroup = SMBDOMAIN
>     realm = smbdomain.com
>     netbios name = SOGO
>     server role = active directory domain controller
>     dns forwarder = 192.168.121.1
>     idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>     passdb backend = samba
>     allow dns updates = nonsecure
>
>     ### Configuration required by OpenChange server ###
>     dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, mapiproxy, dnsserver
>     dcerpc_mapiproxy:server = true
>     dcerpc_mapiproxy:interfaces = exchange_emsmdb, exchange_nsp,
> exchange_ds_rfr
>     ### Configuration required by OpenChange server ###
>
>     mapistore:namedproperties = mysql
>     namedproperties:mysql_user = openchange-user
>     namedproperties:mysql_pass = passwd
>     namedproperties:mysql_host = localhost
>     namedproperties:mysql_db = openchange
>     mapistore:indexing_backend =
> mysql://openchange-user:passwd@localhost/openchange
>     mapiproxy:openchangedb =
> mysql://openchange-user:passwd@localhost/openchange
>
> [netlogon]
>     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/smbdomain.com/scripts
>     read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>     read only = No
>
> Other than adding the lines regarding 'openchange,' this has been the
> 'smb.conf' since provisioning.
>

>> have you moved the krb5.conf file, that samba4 creates when the
>> domain is provisioned, to /etc/ ? This should be in the private/ dir
>> i.e /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf on debian
>
> I had not considered this but after copying it to /etc/ it made no
> difference in results.
>

>> is the samba daemon running on the DC ?
>
> Yes, 'samba,' 'samba-ad-dc' and 'smbd' are running and 'nmbd' and
> 'winbind' are not. they are built

That is not actually what I asked, but it's close, nmbd & winbind
shouldn't be running, they are built into the samba daemon, does 'ps ax'
show 'samba -D' & 'smbd -D' ?

> adam at sogo:~$ sudo service --status-all
>  [ + ]  acpid
>  [ + ]  apache2
>  [ + ]  apparmor
>  [ ? ]  apport
>  [ + ]  atd
>  [ + ]  clamav-freshclam
>  [ ? ]  console-setup
>  [ + ]  cron
>  [ - ]  dbus
>  [ ? ]  dns-clean
>  [ + ]  friendly-recovery
>  [ + ]  gdomap
>  [ - ]  grub-common
>  [ ? ]  irqbalance
>  [ ? ]  killprocs
>  [ ? ]  kmod
>  [ + ]  memcached
>  [ ? ]  mysql
>  [ ? ]  networking
>  [ - ]  nmbd
>  [ ? ]  ondemand
>  [ + ]  postfix
>  [ ? ]  pppd-dns
>  [ - ]  procps
>  [ ? ]  rc.local
>  [ + ]  resolvconf
>  [ - ]  rsync
>  [ + ]  rsyslog
>  [ + ]  samba
>  [ + ]  samba-ad-dc
>  [ ? ]  screen-cleanup
>  [ ? ]  sendsigs
>  [ + ]  smbd
>  [ + ]  sogo
>  [ - ]  ssh
>  [ - ]  sudo
>  [ + ]  udev
>  [ ? ]  umountfs
>  [ ? ]  umountnfs.sh
>  [ ? ]  umountroot
>  [ - ]  unattended-upgrades
>  [ - ]  urandom
>  [ - ]  winbind
>

> adam at sogo:~$ sudo initctl list | egrep "samba|smbd|nmbd|winbind"
> nmbd start/running
> winbind stop/waiting
> smbd stop/waiting
> reload-smbd stop/waiting
> samba-ad-dc start/running, process 815
>

> Thanks again.
>

>> Rowland

Try turning off the sogo parts and try again.