[Samba] Samba 4.2.0rc4 can't authenticate users

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Fri Feb 13 12:11:18 MST 2015

Submitted bug 11098. Debug level 5 logs are attached to the bug along
with the smb.conf file used.

I am assuming that the problem is with the Wondows 2000 DC because I
assume that 4.2.0rc4 would not have been made available if it could
not authenticate against any domain controller.

For us this is a fatal bug.

> This problem shows up on both Linux and Solaris. I am going to show
> the logs from a Fedora 2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 machine.
>
> We are using 'security = domain' with a Windows 2000 domain controller.
> We are setting 'password server = starfish2' dispite the fact that the
> documentation says that this in not necessary as we have found it to
> be necessary. We are setting 'workgroup = adi'.
>
> I installed Samba 4.2.0rc4 in the same location as a previous 4.1.7
> installation after removing everything in bin, sbin & lib. We are
> running just nmbd and smbd.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com