[Samba] Unix Attributes in Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC) tool

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Thu Feb 12 14:12:45 MST 2015

I am using a Samba 4.1.16 as an Active Directory domain controller.

After a lot of time complaining to myself that my users' properties
sheet in ADUC  did not contain the Unix Attributes tab, it finally
occurred to me that I should look again into Windows 7 >> Control Panel
 >> Programs and Features >> Turn Windows Features on and off. Lo and
behold, there it is: under Remote Server Administration Tools >> Role
Administration Tools >> AD DS and AD LDS Tools >> AD DS Tools >> Server
for NIS Tools. Due to this not so clear name (or my ignorance, or both)
I had overseen it when I installed ADUC. After checking the selection
box and letting it install, I opened ADUC and there's the Unix
Attributes tab. Finally!

While roaming the Net I have seen some people grieving over the absence
of the Unix Attributes tab in their ADUC. That's why I strongly think
and feel that this should be included in the "Using RFC2307 on a Samba
DC" page of the Samba Wiki, which is functionally linked to the "Setup a
Samba AD Member Server" page.

Using RFC2307 on a Samba DC
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_RFC2307_on_a_Samba_DC#Configuring_RFC2307_and_NIS_Extensions_in_a_Samba_AD

Setup a Samba AD Member Server
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

I suppose that the link to the Remote Server Administration Tools should
also be included in the Wiki pages:

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7887

Finally, I must express my big Thank You! to the Samba team for this
very important work.

Have a nice day/night, wherever you are!