[Samba] Rsync to samba share very slow

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Feb 10 07:48:19 MST 2015

Am 10.02.2015 um 15:16 schrieb Tim:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm trying rsnapshot for taking snapshots of data. It's based on rsync. While running a rsnapshot job on my member server to sync files to another the IO is very slow.
>
> I did a mount of the samba share of the backup server on the production server. It's mounted rw with vers=2.1 and a credentials file.
> While rsnapshot is running it takes a long time to finish the sync.
>
> What could be the reason for this. Both servers are running version 4.1.16

rsync over samba can not be fast because the reason why rsync is that
efficient is that on both machines a rsync process is running doing
checksums and only transfer differences

if you mount one side with a network FS you have both rsync processes on
the same machine and for doing checksums the data needs to be
transferred to decide if it should be transferred - that's somehow pervert

so just use rsync over ssh or at least try
-W, --whole-file copy files whole (without delta-xfer algorithm)