[Samba] ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED and NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Sun Feb 8 07:20:44 MST 2015

Once again, Bob is in 'the land of unknown bind knowledge.'

What type of data am I adding?

Shouldn't dns_update be run when adding the member server?

Is this a "simple-bind-dn"?

hum-m-m-m!

---

-------------------------

Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

615.885.2846 (main)
www.donelsontrophy.com [1]

"Everyone deserves an award!!"

On 2015-02-08 02:56, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 06/02/15 18:45, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:
>
>> I have been struggling with getting a member server to join my domain. Thanks to testing and using a VM, I can get the test member server to join my domain. The member server on "real hardware" cannot join, well sort of. When I "join", I get: net ads join -U Administrator Enter Administrator's password: Using short domain name -- DTS***M Joined 'DTMBR01' to dns domain 'dts***m.lan' DNS Update for dtmember01.dts***m.lan failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL And when I "leave", I get: net ads leave -U Administrator Enter Administrator's password: Deleted account for 'DTMBR01' in realm 'DTS***M.LAN' So, I look for what where?
>
> Hi Bob, your machine is actually joining the domain, it is the dns adding bit that is failing, try joining again and see if you can connect from another client, if it doesn't, run 'samba-tool dns add --help' and from this work out how to add the computers dns records.
>
> Rowland

Links:
------
[1] http://www.donelsontrophy.com